Thursday, November 27, 2014

An Attitude of Gratitude, or Happy Thanksgiving!

Here in the U.S., we set aside one day a year to focus on all that we are thankful for.  I’m thankful every day, but I think it’s good to have a holiday to remind us that gratitude is important.   I'm a list maker, so here's my list of people and things that I’m giving thanks for today:


·        My husband, Bruce, who works hard to provide for us, seven days a week, 365 days a year, as farmers don’t get weekends and holidays off.  He shows me that he loves me in a thousand little ways, like checking my oil before I leave on a road trip, helping me set up and tear down at art festivals, and giving me fresh flowers on special occasions, because he knows I love them, even though he doesn’t think fresh flowers are a good use of money (he’d rather buy a plant, and I like those too, lol).

·        Two wonderful sons, Cody and Jake.  I've always been proud of them, both for who they are and what they've accomplished, but as they are growing into young adults, I’m especially proud of the men they are becoming.  They are each fortunate to have really nice girlfriends who I think the world of, and circles of friends for fun and support.  This was never more evident earlier this fall when Jake had his truck accident, and his group of friends was there from the start, holding him up, keeping him company, bringing him McDonald’s milkshakes and helping him keep up on his schoolwork.  I love those kids!

·        I’m thankful that my parents are both still with us, and still lead active, fulfilling lives.  I’m thankful that we live close by, so that we can be there for each other. 

·        Brothers and sisters – my brother who drops anything at to come and help when he’s needed, and his amazing wife, who I’m glad to call my sister.  And speaking of sisters…I didn't grow up with any, but I've been really lucky to get four sisters-in-law in my adult years…Bruce’s three sisters, Cindy, Linda and Terri, and Mike’s wife, Jean.  Having so much family close by is a blessing for us, and for our children.

·        Peace Church – my church family.  That phrase “church family” may sound cliché, but I mean it.  It’s a community in the best sense of the word, and I’m grateful that I get to be an active part of it.

·        I’m thankful for photography, and the creative outlet it has provided. God has given us a beautiful world to live in, and I’m thankful for the opportunity to shine a light on bits and pieces of it…one image at a time. 


My list could go on and on…from a roof over our heads, to food on our tables, to the people who influenced us who are no longer here, to those that sacrifice to keep us safe…I don’t know where to stop.


Happy Thanksgiving, and may God bless you and yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment